Everything But Us

They love our headwraps,
The way the do-rag’s elegant colors and prints
Curve and caress their way around our hair.

They love our hair,
The way our kinks, curls, and coils
Frame our elegant faces with such pride.

They love our faces,
The way the chocolate melts into our eyes
And drips down along our arms and stomachs.

They love our food,
The way the lingering taste
Of Creole and soul food
Makes their skin seize with satisfaction.

They love our skin,
“Sunkissed is never the right word,” they say,
Infatuated with how the melanin encases
Our muscles and tendons and smiles.

They love the sound of us,
The way our words and notes curl
Around the saxophones and double bass

So why is it,
That these people who claim to love everything about us
Seem to love everything about us,
But us?

WORDS FROM THE AUTHOR
Kennedy Griffin

This past marking period has become one of the defining moments up to this point in my life where I have been able to focus time and time again on the different challenges I face as an African American. One of the ironic instances I found myself coming back to was the fact that cultural appropriation has almost become a normal, everyday occurrence for things that come from African American roots. Everything from our food to our head-wraps and hair techniques has been taken by others with the claim that they’re suddenly something “new” or “innovative”. Meanwhile, people of color themselves are still pushed to the sidelines, the financial, societal, and political wars their fighting for equality being forgotten. This poem serves as a means to remind everyone that we see what’s happening with our culture. We know all too well that everything we have been reaching for is still out of our grasp. So, I wanted to write something that, hopefully, a little while from now, I will be able to read and think to myself, “I’m glad things are different now.”

REVISION DECISION
The revisions I made to this poem included reconstructing the end of each stanza in order to help flow into the beginning of the next stanza. For example, one stanza ends with, “Frame our elegant faces with such pride,” and the next begins with, “They love our faces.” Although I wasn’t able to do this as smoothly with every single stanza, I feel that the places in which I was able to do so worked beautifully. Moreover, I added a section on food not only to give the poem length but also because the food is something that has bound African Americans together for thousands of years. The best feature within this poem would be the very last stanza, in which I remind the reader that this isn’t simply about a boastful pride for being a person of color, but also a reminder that there is a serious societal issue going on. The question at the very end is meant to push the reader deep into thought about what they have just read/heard. Overall, I am very proud of this piece and would love for people to hear it and walk away feeling something long-lasting about it.

11 thoughts on “Everything But Us

1. Wow Kennedy, this is a really great poem! I love the way your stanzas segue into one another, and I see in your notes that that’s something you worked hard on. It’s very seamless! I also love your use of alliteration; the repeating “s” sounds almost give those places a hissing quality which is really effective with the line “skin seize with satisfaction.” Your ending is powerful. You have a great voice.

2. Kennedy-This is an amazing piece of writing. Thank you so much for sharing. I appreciate also your thoughtfulness around your revisions. I hope to buy your book of poetry someday!

3. I love the slow, melodic tempo that builds to such a powerful ending. Keep writing. Your words are a gift!

4. This piece moved at the speed of honey until the end, when it made a loud slamming sound. Very powerful juxtaposition of your feelings about cultural appropriation (and your own love of those qualities of African Americans that you describe) and the lack of love you feel from those who would appropriate you and yours. Thank you for sharing this.

5. Hi Kennedy, your poem is a powerful piece for our world today to ponder upon”Everything but Us.” Your stanzas are well-developed, and which you how you introduce each one of them rhymes so perfectly while conveying the message you intend to put across. As a surface reader, I just took the literal version of your poem, and I can’t wait to unfold if there are any deeper meanings to your verse. Well done!

6. Just wow. I know you shared this a year ago and do not know if you are still checking comments, but your words and the way you structured this poem are so effective. Beautiful and thought-provoking. These are busy years of youth, but I so hope you keep writing. Your voice is powerful, and your thinking behind your choices is wise. The world changes because of poems like this.