The Sick Truth

People look at her but do not see her.
They listen to her but she is not heard.
They say they care but they don’t.
People that you are supposed to trust turn on you.
They take advantage of you.
That is the sick truth.

WORDS FROM THE AUTHOR
Taylor Williams

During this marking period I have been writing a piece The Girl With the Long Sleeves and this poem comes from that piece. This class has given me time to focus on writing my own story and has helped me heal in many ways. My inspiration for this poem is what I was feeling for many years. About six years ago I went though a time in my life that someone that was supposed to trust hurt me in a very traumatic way. I bottled it up and tried to forget it but in the end I just lost myself and felt so alone. This piece represents my truth about my life and now I can write about it and be proud of surviving that part of my life. That was a very dark time in my life and this poem represents that and now I can look back on that time and not feel alone.

REVISION DECISION
The revisions I made to this poem was rearranging the piece and shortening it from the original to improve the flow. Before I made this into a poem it was just one sentence, but I pulled that out and changed it. Also I shortened it from the original so that each line was around the same length. For example, “people that you are supposed to be able to trust turn on you and take advantage of you and that’s the sick truth” was all one line but I went back and separate them. I am very proud of this piece and hope that it can help someone and that they can read it a think about how far they have came and hopefully not feel as alone.

One thought on “The Sick Truth

1. Your poem floats beautifully back and forth from opposing sides. It gives me a sense of rocking from one end to another with your first two lines. Then smack dab in the middle the next two lines call it all out – they don’t, turn on you. My response to you: I hear you – people are fallible. Keep writing you have important things to share. Thank you.