The Stars

The stars
Echoing in the night.
Twinkling bright.
A beacon of HOPE for the world to be heard.

Oh, how I look up at the sky
And see my loved ones
In the heavens above.

My grandpa singing with the angel.
My grandma having the time of her life.

I wonder to myself what will become of me?
When will I flourish?
When will I rise into the sky with joy?

No sins, no mistakes,
the past being washed away
Like snow.

I have never seen stars the way I do now.
A sign of HOPE, urging me to look up at God’s creation.

The world is set ablaze.
Chaos enveloping our ways.
Diseases spreading like wildfire.
One thing always remains the same.

The twinkling lights like firecrackers.
Beaming with life.

The fresh air of purpose.
The Stars

Forevermore.

Words from the Author
Alexa Zarr

The topic of stars is something I never would’ve written before until now. The stars bring a sense of hope in this world. All the chaos and destruction is blooming more than ever. We tend to get lost in this sense of what the world wants from us and not want we want for ourselves. I think we have all experienced suffering and loss. We look up to the sky and think what do I do? Some people take their own lives, some people just live in complete isolation from the world. They think that it could help their troubles, but it simply brings more chaos. I thought this poem could give some hope into this terrible world. I want people to get a glimpse of my beliefs when it comes to God. I am a Christian and I believe that we are here for a purpose and that is to share the gospel with others. It’s okay if people disagree with that, but I think we can all agree on the fact that there’s got to be a reason why we are here on Earth. I think the stars show an amazing sign of God’s natural beauty. He is telling us in his majestic way that it’s okay, I’m here to help guide you on this journey of finding out who you are. My desire is for people to take time out of their problems and just look at the sky for a moment. Ask themselves am I living my life in the best way possible or do I need to work on renewing myself? I bet if we take the time with that, we can make the world such a better place and the stars is just a start of doing that.

Revision Decision

I didn’t do much change to the piece. I had it in a concise poem format when I first wrote it, but as I read the piece again, I started seeing some things to add. Some things for the readers to pond over. For example, I decided to capitalize the word hope because I thought it gave the emphasis that it would fulfill for the topic. I also decided to add more about the world’s flaws, such as the “chaos enveloping our ways” or “disease spreading like wildfire” to really get the readers to think deeply about what our purpose here is. I decided to go from that moment of despair mindset into this hopeful enlightening mindset and that is to describe more about the stars. “The twinkling lights like firecrackers”, “beaming with life” all are just some examples I used in this piece to create a better flow to the piece and for a better sense of hope. Stars are something people take for granted, but I challenge the readers to look at them with a new light in order to see their true path.